Residence permit for studies

Students from a non-European Union (EU) or non-European Economic Area (EEA) country require a residence permit in order to study in Sweden for longer than 3 months.

How should I apply?

The Swedish Migration Agency (Migrationsverket) is the public authority responsible for residence permits.

The easiest and fastest way to apply for a residence permit is to use the online application at their website.

Find out more at the Swedish Migration Agency's website

What's important to know about my admissions application and status?

There are certain criteria students must meet to receive a residence permit. One directly related to studies is that a student must be admitted to a course or programme at a Swedish university.

Your place is considered conditional until you've paid the first tuition fee instalment. Until you've paid, you aren't considered admitted and can't be granted a residence permit.

It's therefore important that you pay the first tuition fee instalment as soon as the university has sent instructions to you for payment. This should happen soon after you've received your admissions notification. Your university will notify the Swedish Migration Agency when your offer of admission is finalised.

When should I apply for a residence permit?

To receive your residence permit in time for you to begin your studies in Sweden, you should submit your residence permit application as soon as possible after you:

  • receive your Notification of Selection Results, and
  • pay your tuition fee.

Swiss students

Citizens of Switzerland need a residence permit to study in Sweden. 

Find out more about Swiss citizens and residence permits

EU/EEA students

As an EU citizen you have the right to work, study or live in Sweden without a residence permit. If you can support yourself, you automatically have right of residence in Sweden and do not need to contact the Swedish Migration Agency. 

Information for EU/EEA citizens at the Swedish Migration Agency

Last updated: 19 October 2022