Italy, master's admission

Find out what you need to submit, what previous studies meet the general entry requirements, how to meet the English requirement and any special instructions for your country of study.

Meeting the general entry requirements

For entry into a Master's programme, the minimum requirement is a 180 ECTS Bachelor’s (Laurea) degree or the equivalent from a university:

  • Laurea
  • Diploma Accademico di Primo Livello (First Cycle Level Degree)
  • Laurea Specialistica / Magistrale a cicolo unico
  • Diploma di Conservatorio

Meeting the English requirement

You can meet the English requirement with your upper secondary studies if you:

  • have a Maturità Linguistica or Classica with extended English course (approximately 800 hours), or

  • completed your Maturità Linguistica after 1 January 2015 with English as your first foreign language and this is clearly stated on your diploma or transcript of grades (pagella scolastica).

Please submit your Diploma (Esame di Stato/ Maturità) and Pagelle Scolastiche anni 3, 4 e 5 in original language and official translation. Please submit your upper secondary documents as indicated for bachelor’s level studies.

You can also demonstrate that you meet the English language requirement through certain university studies, or an internationally approved English test.

Find out more at English language requirements

General document requirements

In order to complete your admissions application, you must provide the following documents so they arrive at University Admissions by the deadline.

  1. Certificates and diplomas of your completed degree(s) from an internationally recognised higher education institution. 

    The certificate/diploma must be officially issued by a representative of the Academic Registrar's Office, the Examinations Office, or the equivalent office that issues official transcripts of records at your university.

    Find out more about what officially issued means

    Are you in your final year of studies? You'll need to document this! Find out how at the final year of bachelor's studies page
  2. Transcripts of completed courses and grades for each semester included in your degree. If you have had courses credited/transferred from previous studies, you must also submit official transcripts for those courses.

    The documents must be officially issued by a representative of the Academic Registrar's Office, the Examinations Office, or the equivalent office that issues official transcripts of records at your university.

    Make sure the transcripts are dated so we can clearly see when they were issued.
  3. Proof of English language proficiency
  4. Proof that you meet the specific entry requirements

    It's important you check your university's website for information regarding the specific entry requirements for the course or programme you have applied to and any other documentation they may require, such as dissertations, essay summaries, letters of recommendation, or letters of intent. Please do not submit any additional documentation unless it is specifically requested by the university.
  5. In order to speed up the processing of your application, we require a copy of the page in your passport with your personal data and photograph, or some other identification document.

Translation requirements

  • Transcripts issued in English by the university are accepted; in this case, transcripts in the original language are not required.
  • Note however that your diploma in the original language must always be included, along with an official translation to Swedish or English. Official means that your translation must be completed by a translation company or a person who works as a translator.
  • If you have completed academic qualifications from a conservatory and received a Diploma di Conservatorio, you need to submit your diploma and transcripts both in the original language and in translation, along with your diploma from upper secondary school, Esame di stato/Maturita.  Accepted languages for translations are Swedish or English.
  • Please note that Tribunale is not accepted as an official translation.

Special document instructions

We cannot accept self-declarations (Dichiarazione). All transcripts must be officially issued.

Did you complete your studies at an American University?

If you completed your studies at John Cabot University please see Country Specific requirements for U.S.A.

Diploma supplement

A diploma supplement is not required when applying to studies in Sweden. However, if you have a diploma supplement, it alone cannot be used as proof of your degree. Your diploma supplement together with your degree certificate is acceptable in place of an official academic transcript, if courses and grades are clearly stated. Read more about the Diploma Supplement

Your name and birthdate must match on all documents

For your documents to be accepted:

  • the name and birthdate provided must be the same on all your documents (ID, transcripts, degree certificate, etc.)
  • the name on your documents must match the name you reported in your account at

If the names are different, you must provide us with documentation (for example, a marriage certificate if you've been married) as to why they don't match.

If the birthdate on any of your documents is different from your passport, the difference must be explained with official documentation.

This documentation must be either issued in English or Swedish or, if issued in another language, officially translated to Swedish or English.

The easiest way to get your documentation to us is by uploading it here at 

Incomplete documentation

It's your responsibility to ensure that you have read and understood the application requirements and have gathered and submitted all the necessary components of the admissions application by the deadline.


University Admissions in Sweden checks the authenticity of your documents with the issuing institution. University Admissions in Sweden reserves the right to revoke admission if supporting documents are discovered to be fraudulent.

Submission of false documents is a violation of Swedish law and is considered grounds for legal action.

Last updated: 05 October 2022